Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Just Plain Lucky

     So when I had Will, I was terrified of all of the responsibilities I would be taking on. I wanted to be a mom more than anything, but at the same time I was scared out of my wits.

     I can remember the first night home from the hospital. My mom, memaw, me, and Daniel were all trying our best to get Will to stop crying. He had awful gas when he was a baby and he made good use of his lungs that night. I remember thinking, "What in the world have Daniel and I gotten ourselves into?!?!?!"  Finally, it came to a head and I was crying as well because I felt like a failure as a mother. I mean, what kind of mother couldn't soothe her child. Well, come to find out, an exhausted, sore, overwhelmed, emotional mother couldn't soothe herself, much less a 4 day old baby.

     My wonderful hubby took the reigns and sent me to bed, no questions. He lovingly said, " Amy, you are not making this any better by crying and being emotional. You are tired and need rest. Go to sleep and when it is time for him to eat, we will come and wake you up." Well, we made it through that night and we have made it through many similar nights since.

    Since then, I have to say I have been just plain lucky. I have heard horror stories about having to do things such as ween the bottle, take away the pacifier, move to a big boy bed, and potty training. I can honestly say that these have all be so easy for Will. I don't know if he is just an independent little booger who wants to grow up so badly that he does whatever it takes to make him feel older, or if it is me and the way I have handled these things (thanks to some wonderful advice from some of the best mommies I know). I would like to think it is the latter, but I guess we will not know until #2 comes along and I get to do it all again. Either way, I am just plain lucky or better yet, I am just plain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment