Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Insomnia

It is 3:00 in the morning and I cannot sleep. I usually do not have problems sleeping, but the past week or so has been awful. Will has become this little monster at night. He WILL NOT sleep. It doesn't matter what we do, he is awake for hours. We have tried letting him cry....and that he does....for hours. We have tried the gentle "have a talk" approach....no luck. I have tried the stern "mommy and daddy are not happy" approach.....doesn't work. I am at my wits end...exhausted with a baby due in 7 or so weeks.

Just when I finally think he is asleep I hear that little voice call "mommy" until he is either worked up into a full fledged fit or he gets up and comes out of his room. We have never had this problem until now and I do not know what to do. I feel like a huge failure as a parent which is very discomforting since we have another coming very soon.

I am exhausted but with 1000s of thoughts running through my head about why this is happening and what I need to do I cannot sleep. I know he is beyond tired, he doesn't nap during the day, and the teacher in me is telling myself this is hindering his development. I am at such a loss I just want to cry.

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    You're not a failure. All of our kids went through this stage- some a week, some longer. It is exhausting & emotional to say the least- you will ALL make it through this. I promise!!! I know that doesn't make you feel better now. I know this sounds crazy- but when Peyton did this, we turned on the vacuum & for some reason it calmed him down... it sounds crazy! I know! He will be just fine!
    I'm thinking about you- I know you need your rest before the newest Sherwin arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Stephanie. I am just a little overwhelmed with everything at the moment and last night I just about had a come apart. I feel better today and have a fresh outlook on this issue. We will have to see how it goes from here!

    ReplyDelete