Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Looking for joy, enduring the pain...

     So I went for my first "long run" of my half marathon training this past Sunday. Let me add that I consider anything over 5 miles a long run. This particular one was 7 miles.

     I had been doing 3-5 miles, a couple times a week for maintenance, but I was doing it on a flat, indoor track. This 7 miler was outside on the hills of Brentwood (if you have ran in Brentwood, you know what I am talking about). It just about KILLED me! I did not think I would make it. My poor husband, who is currently training for his first marathon, endured it with me. I know it was like going for a walk for him, but he stayed back with me.

After Mercedes Half 2012 - Our PR!
     After I suffered through it, complained about how hard it was, asked incessantly how far we had to go, I remembered my last blog. You know the one about finding joy in everything.....well I was already succumbing to the old me. I was focusing on the hurt, how long it was taking me to do this in comparison to past runs, and scolding myself because there is no way I would be able to run 13.1 by February. So for that last mile, I found some things to enjoy about this run. First of all, I love being able to be out and enjoying a beautiful day. I love the fact that with each step, no matter how painful, I am bettering myself for my husband and kids. I will be a stronger person inside and out for doing this. Most of all, I love that my husband was there with me every step of the way. If I walked, he walked, despite me urging him to go on because I would meet him at the end. These things may seem trivial, but for me, the ultimate Negative Nancy when it comes to finding positives in pain, this was HUGE.

     As a side note, I was not 100% for that run. I realized that today when I had to go to the doctor because my throat was on fire and my glands were swollen. I see now, with my 20/20 hindsight, that I have been coming down with this crud since last Friday. I haven't felt great, but any mother can tell you that fatigue is usually just chalked up to running with the kiddos all day and not getting a good nights rest. I see now that what ever this is was creeping its way into my body. So, maybe it was a good run and was just shadowed by this viral demon. I guess we will find out on my next 7 miler this weekend.

      Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your families and/or friends and eat lots of delicious food!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment